Help Us Finish The Trail
As the Riverfront Heritage Trail is constructed it generates both interest and impatience.
Whenever we introduce the trail the response is basically the same, namely an excited “Finally!” On January 20, 2002, the Kansas City Star published an article entitled “A Citizens’ Agenda for the Kansas City Region”. The article was the result of a survey of 1,400 readers. It was notable that Greenways and Trails was rated number one among readers’ priorities for capital improvements in the Kansas City Area. Kansas City’s residents believe the Trail will be a great relocation incentive, a health benefit, and a community-strengthening tool.
It is very clear that this trail will meet a long frustrated need in this region.
A completed Riverfront Heritage Trail aids this community in its effort to send a signal to the entire region, there is really a new spirit in the downtown and riverfront areas. The Trail is a pedestrian oriented, worker friendly amenity that improves both business and residential attraction and retention. It is felt that the Trail will redefine the area as much as San Antonio’s famed River Walk. It will trigger economic development and community improvement along its full length. Hotels, businesses, bikers and runners constantly inquire about our progress.
We are sure that your investment will be part of a very special bi-state project that will stimulate additional investment throughout the community.
The Riverfront Heritage Trail has been developed by a comprehensive coalition of stakeholders, including
community leaders, public agencies, non-profit organizations and private concerns. Key leadership and supporthas been provided by:
• Senator Kit Bond
• Senator Sam Brownback
• Representative Dennis Moore
• Mayor Kay Barnes and members of the City Council of Kansas City Missouri
• Mayor and CEO Joe Reardon and Commissioners of the Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas
• Port Authority of Kansas City, Missouri
• Kansas City River Trails, Inc.
• Kansas City Brownfield Federal Showcase
• Missouri Development Finance Board
• Kansas Department of Transportation
• Missouri Departments of Transportation & Economic Development
• U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Kansas City District
• U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region VII
• U.S. National Park Service
• Mid-America Regional Council
• Kansas City Area Transportation Authority
• Kansas City Star Foundation
• Hall Family Foundation
• Faultless Starch/Bon Ami Co.
• J. E. Dunn Family Foundation
• William T. Kemper Foundation
• Kansas Lewis and Clark Bicentennial Commission
• Missouri Lewis and Clark Bicentennial Commission
• Landmark Realty
• Capital Electric Construction Co.
• Bank of America, Private Bank
• Dimensional Innovations
• Greater Kansas City Community Foundation
• Western Extralite
• Planned Industrial Expansion Authority
• Mr. Tom McDonnell
• Kansas City Southern Industries
• Friends of Kaw Point
• Friends of the River – for KC, Inc.