ASB Bridge Underpass
The ASB Underpass opened on January 15th, 2010, providing safe passage beneath the ASB Bridge, a landmark bridge utilized by the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad.
The design of the underpass allows trail users the opportunity to almost touch the water in the Missouri River, as it is literally designed into the riverbank. Observation platforms featured on the underpass allow Trail users the opportunity to view the river with all of its frequent variances.
The ASB Underpass is one of the Trail’s most crucial linkages, connecting Berkley Park to an exciting trail segment that meanders through a riverfront ecosystem restoration area. This area is anchored by the proposed Riverfront West Interpretive Center, which is both an educational center and a trail oasis. Nearby is the Town of Kansas Bridge which reconnects the River Market with the historic Riverfront Docks and Town of Kansas.
An Interpretive and Information Kiosk is planned for the future, providing trail users with more information about the trail and the history of the site.
- Missouri Transportation Development Tax Credits: $1,019,000.
- 2006 Transportation Enhancements grant: $500,000.
- 2009-2010 KCMO Capital Improvements Sales Tax (PIAC): $368,088.
- Private contribution: $30,000.
- 2006Congestion Mitigation & Air Quality (CMAQ) grant: $200,000.